


It is finally raining here & my head is killing me. It is so dark here b/c of the rain. Sawyer is taking the goats out which is nice. Oh, Saben is going to help take the goats out too. Finally my dream is becoming reality! You know, I cut off electronics here for the week. They need some "help" weaning themselves off the boob tube, Wii, Computer, etc. So none of that M-F. Yesterday was the first day & they busied themselves with creative things & were outside more. Then in the eve, I caved & let them watch the Muppets go to Manhattan that they got at the library. But it's my rule so I guess I can modify it. Merritt calls me Cave Mom.
I do hate the electronics (except for my laptop, the internet and my cell & bluetooth, of course!) & would love to get rid of all of them. I am trying to not be too extreme & compromise a bit. Then we stop at my parents yesterday, I leave to run groceries home quick & the kids immediately turn on the tv at my mom's. I come in & tell them off with it. My mom is like "why?". I explain the deal. I think she may have even rolled her eyes! She thinks I am ridiculous with the flax seed waffles & organic maple syrup that no one wants to eat, except me! The kids told me in the car later that she told them I watched tv all the time when i was a kid. i told them she is full of it b/c there was hardly anything on tv when i was a kid. That's why she didn't have to monitor it. Until we got cable in middle school then we had Mtv-wohoo. i also told them just b/c Nana let me "watch tv all the time" according to her, I want them to have a more interesting existence than that. I do love the John Prine song "Blow up your tv, throw away your paper, move to the country, build you a home. Plant a little garden, eat alot of peaches, try to find Jesus on your own". Kind of my inspiration really. On the waffle thing, Saben tells me he will eat waffles so I get these yummy looking organic flax seed waffles & expensive organic real maple syrup. No one likes them. Turns out my mom has pillsbury waffles & junky Aunt Jemima corn syrup & he likes that only. I understand b/c it does taste great, all sugary. Part of our corn addiction. Speaking of which, look for King Corn the movie. Anyway, my mom tells me to just get the good stuff (aka junk) & quit ruining all the fun. She tells me her dad ruined her mom's fabulous waffles making them use sorghum syrup (which I also like) among other things. i forget the other examples. But it was funny. The problem is that when we were little there were not so many choices of junk to eat or junk on tv. My mom didn't have to monitor what we ate b/c we ate freaking swiss chard & even nasty ole liver at dinner without too much trouble b/c that is what we were used to. Then along came doritos & totally warped our taste buds & addicted us to various chemical flavor enhancers. Have you seen Over the Hedge? It is an animated movie for kids. The "deep" meaning I took from it was that the wild animals (aka: children) were content to stockpile bark (aka: zucchini) & eat it all year (aka: canning & freezing so you can eat local all year) until the Racoon (Bruce Willis) shows up & they look over the hedge at the subdivision that went up at some point but they were afraid to look. He goes over there & steals junk food & they get addicted to doritos hence their dependence on 'the man' which fosters descent among the ranks. The struggle continues...
From Saben: "This antidote is very poisonous. Heidi- I miss you. Remember don't drink poisonous antidote." (this is in reference to his test tube filled with Poke berries from yesterday. He also has a pet red wasp named Bob frozen in another test tube). They crack me up! They are out running around in the rain & are now soaked & dirty. Much better than playing Wii & simulating running in the rain! Now they need a funnel...
Busy day today, going to Mt Hope winery north of Manheim to pay for the Ren Faire field trip . I wanted to sample some wine but have to see if my head is better by then. Then off to Lancaster for Latin. Then to Jill's farm south of York to visit the chicken lady & check out her birds. Then home sweet home. No wonder I can't seem to finish painting this house!
I do hate the electronics (except for my laptop, the internet and my cell & bluetooth, of course!) & would love to get rid of all of them. I am trying to not be too extreme & compromise a bit. Then we stop at my parents yesterday, I leave to run groceries home quick & the kids immediately turn on the tv at my mom's. I come in & tell them off with it. My mom is like "why?". I explain the deal. I think she may have even rolled her eyes! She thinks I am ridiculous with the flax seed waffles & organic maple syrup that no one wants to eat, except me! The kids told me in the car later that she told them I watched tv all the time when i was a kid. i told them she is full of it b/c there was hardly anything on tv when i was a kid. That's why she didn't have to monitor it. Until we got cable in middle school then we had Mtv-wohoo. i also told them just b/c Nana let me "watch tv all the time" according to her, I want them to have a more interesting existence than that. I do love the John Prine song "Blow up your tv, throw away your paper, move to the country, build you a home. Plant a little garden, eat alot of peaches, try to find Jesus on your own". Kind of my inspiration really. On the waffle thing, Saben tells me he will eat waffles so I get these yummy looking organic flax seed waffles & expensive organic real maple syrup. No one likes them. Turns out my mom has pillsbury waffles & junky Aunt Jemima corn syrup & he likes that only. I understand b/c it does taste great, all sugary. Part of our corn addiction. Speaking of which, look for King Corn the movie. Anyway, my mom tells me to just get the good stuff (aka junk) & quit ruining all the fun. She tells me her dad ruined her mom's fabulous waffles making them use sorghum syrup (which I also like) among other things. i forget the other examples. But it was funny. The problem is that when we were little there were not so many choices of junk to eat or junk on tv. My mom didn't have to monitor what we ate b/c we ate freaking swiss chard & even nasty ole liver at dinner without too much trouble b/c that is what we were used to. Then along came doritos & totally warped our taste buds & addicted us to various chemical flavor enhancers. Have you seen Over the Hedge? It is an animated movie for kids. The "deep" meaning I took from it was that the wild animals (aka: children) were content to stockpile bark (aka: zucchini) & eat it all year (aka: canning & freezing so you can eat local all year) until the Racoon (Bruce Willis) shows up & they look over the hedge at the subdivision that went up at some point but they were afraid to look. He goes over there & steals junk food & they get addicted to doritos hence their dependence on 'the man' which fosters descent among the ranks. The struggle continues...
From Saben: "This antidote is very poisonous. Heidi- I miss you. Remember don't drink poisonous antidote." (this is in reference to his test tube filled with Poke berries from yesterday. He also has a pet red wasp named Bob frozen in another test tube). They crack me up! They are out running around in the rain & are now soaked & dirty. Much better than playing Wii & simulating running in the rain! Now they need a funnel...
Busy day today, going to Mt Hope winery north of Manheim to pay for the Ren Faire field trip . I wanted to sample some wine but have to see if my head is better by then. Then off to Lancaster for Latin. Then to Jill's farm south of York to visit the chicken lady & check out her birds. Then home sweet home. No wonder I can't seem to finish painting this house!
3 comments:
Woo hoo - check out that post! Good title, by the way, you packed alot in. Look at all the stuff you are doing! Tell Saben I miss him too and can't wait to see him.
I struggle a lot with the technology thing myself, especially the TV. John and I eat dinner in front of the TV which my traditional side tells me is really bad. But John loves TV - his parents fall asleep in their recliners at night watching the toob and his favorite thing is falling asleep to the TV on the couch. I hate it. But I don't want to be too judgemental, b/c I watch my cooking shows and dramas and whatnot, so I'm not sure what I think of it. As long as our life is diverse and interesting, I suppose it is all ok. I get overloaded with it sometimes and have to get away. But I do love documentaries and PBS, etc. I have to admit that I've learned alot about history from TV. And John was kind enough to move the TV out of our bedroom, so that was certainly a compromise.
And dude, you forget Dukes of Hazzard, Saturday morning cartoons, HR Puffenstuff, Capt Kangaroo, etc, etc. Didn't you watch any of that? I'm not so sure that we watched less TV. And when atari came out, we played that all the time. But we didn't have computers, so that was a big difference. We are starting to sound like old ladies....'back in my day, we didn't have these newfangled computers and only had 4 channels....;) Great post, keep it up!
I know I sound like an old biddy. I never had atari. I did watch some of those shows but what you named was the extent of it. Actually, for family bonding, we watched happy days & laverne & shirley. My grandpa was a tv nazi so that is probably why my mom is much more relaxed about it. So I continue to search for the middle ground. Stay tuned...
Ok, I can't figure out how to edit a post so I will add this info as a comment. Here is a link to the John Prine lyrics & song - Enjoy!
http://www.actionext.com/names_j/john_prine_lyrics/spanish_pipedream.html
Post a Comment