Thursday, February 21, 2008

Retroactive Immunity for Telecoms

I have to admit, that to a degree, I've sheltered myself from a lot of the 'news' in the media since moving to NH. No news programs, no newspapers, unless you count the local paper that comes out twice a week, with no real national news. I do check out the headlines every few days as I log into an older yahoo email account. It just seems like an easier way to live, being slightly ignorant of all of the bad stuff that's going on out there and the media's take on it.

But I did receive an email from someone from the former Chris Dodd presidential campaign...yes, I was a supporter, but unfortunately, the campaign didn't seem to get too far off of the ground. By the time the NH primary rolled around, he was out of the race. Anyway, it mentioned that the retroactive immunity for telecoms passed in the Senate by a healthy margin. So it seems that the Bush administration is pushing for immunity for these large telecom companies that wiretapped us illegally, and the Senate bought it hook, line and sinker, with just 29 voting against (all democrat). It just goes to show, to me, how deeply congressman reside in the pockets of large companies, and that money just makes everything go away. Here's John Edward's take before the vote from reclaim the media and an article from the Minnesota Monitor, post-vote. *sigh*.

No comments: