You might almost think Osama's minnions were expected to show up at the Marietta airport & parachute into TMI with contraband library DVD's, what with the new security measures at our local library. Yesterday, after checking out our books separately, my 11 yr old son innocently tells me we can't leave yet because he has to get his picture taken. I, ever on the alert for Big Brother (just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me), walk over to see what is going on. The librarian, as she sets up the camera to photograph my minor son without my consent, says this is a new security measure & they are taking everyone's pictures. Well no one said anything to me about it or asked for my permission I say. "Can we opt out?" I ask. "No", the librarian replies. I said this seems a bit strange; surely I am not the only one to have refused to say 'cheese' on cue?! Apparently shee p are taking over town because, yes, I am the only one so far who is being difficult. I say next thing you know they will start tracking what we read. "Oh no, we aren't allowed to do that", cry the librarians. Right.
They ask nicely if I would like to talk to the director. Really I just want to leave & get on with my other errands but I say sure. The director, a nice lady, explains to me why this is a necessary step in the war on terror, I mean, underage game renting among other things. She implies it is a small concession to have access to such an awesome selection of free materials. It isn't really asking that much to be able to utilize this wonderful institution. 2% are ruining it for the rest of us. I nod & try to grasp her points while she assures me no one will get into the computer system & use this information for nefarious purposes. I mean, people might hack into the Pentagon but not Lancaster County Library!
Now, my boys love to go to the library. They check out alot of books but also DVD's, CD's and Xbox games. I don't really understand why libraries now loan games for Game Boys, the Xbox & the Wii. But that is another rant for another day. I do know that they would be very disappointed if they could not use the library anymore just because their mother refused to drink the kool aid & let them be photographed. But what about all those unsupervised kids in the library who are being photographed without their parents even knowing? I was led to believe these same parents don't know their kids are stealing their library cards, impersonating them & using the library computers for forbidden purposes. And renting 'T' rated video games. The horror! I thought the library stood up for Banned Books, celebrated them no less, yet they are now in the business of monitoring what someone else's children are trying to borrow. In a free country. When did that responsibility make it into the public library manifesto?
Meanwhile I am thinking this photographing of all library patrons seems like an extreme reaction to a few thefts & unsupervised children. But that's just me, thinking for myself. If you stop drinking the kool aid automatically, you start questioning everything. My kids have taught me this while unschooling me over the years. The most radical act today is to educate your children yourself and along the way, you begin to see the world anew. This is not good news for Big Brother or the Nanny State. But it is great for the Republic.
"Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither."
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great quote; Ben Franklin I believe!
Post a Comment