Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back from Seattle means back in the saddle...



Gorgeous Seattle in August...I underestimated this city the last time that I was here. Of course, it may have been tainted by the fact that it was for work, accompanied by a colleague with a serious fear of flying, in March, when the Columbine tragedy happened. John mentioned that if we ever become independently wealthy, that we need to have a place in Seattle in July and August. I agree.

John served as the best man in a wedding of his friend Gene, a fellow that I knew back at the University of Pittsburgh a good 15 years ago. We arrived on a Monday and stayed at a beautiful hotel in downtown Seattle - the Seattle Westin. A renovated hotel, it is right on 5th Avenue downtown, with easy access to just about everything. After two days, we headed to West Seattle, which was easier access to the wedding location, at our friend's new home. We enjoyed gorgeous weather, took in the sights of Pike Place Market, checked out Pioneer Square, hit some really nice restaurants and spent time with friends. One of the best suggestions I received, for anyone who will be in West Seattle, near the Alki Peninsula, is Matador. With great Mexican food and a wonderful old world atmosphere, I would have to say that this was my favorite place to eat. While the guys were at the bachelor party, three of us ladies made our way over there for a delicious dinner and a couple of really great local beers. Mack and Jack was one that I really liked.

One thing that was really cool about Seattle, besides it being an amazing port city, was the influence of the Inuit culture. I was able to see several totem poles, like the one here, which was in Pioneer Square. We also were able to visit the Seattle Aquarium, which was fun. The best part for me was the touch ponds, where we could touch starfish and other underwater life. I also got to scratch my shopping itch at a really cute little boutique called Violette. Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of really good deals. In NH, the shopping aspect is not really stressed, so it was nice to add a couple of practical but unique pieces of clothing to my wardrobe. I may be looking to simplify my life, but I'm still a girl!

Then onto the wedding, which was very sweet and fun, in the backyard of our friend's home. With 50 people, it was quaint and intimate, and even a bit of rain couldn't break our spirits. Now I'm back home and it is time to return to the job search and establishing a life in New Hampshire. With summer winding down, that means less travel and really starting to call this place home.

No comments: